Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Professional Reading = Internet Articles

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, and not the fiction kind. I also haven't been doing sustained reading either because I'm doing my reading on the internet. It's fascinating. I remember when I first started using the internet back in it's dial-up days, and I thought it was terribly boring. Now, I can't seem to stop browsing and reading and researching and finding one interesting idea after the next.

Since I started my job as an Instructional Technology Facilitator, I realized that there is a whole world of really cool ideas and movements and research and stories and how-to's about these things that a classroom teacher really just doesn't have time to keep up with. So, I've tried to first, catch up with the times, and second, keep up with the times. To do this I've relied on a few sites and blogs are well-formatted and have good, relevant information. My favorite of these is MindShift from KQED, and if you've never been, I suggested you check it out. The other way I keep up is by reading my Twitter feed (when I find time for that).

Bookmarking has been a great time saver because I don't always have time to read the articles, and
sometimes I come across articles that I know I'll need later but don't relate in that moment. It took me half a year to finally settle on using my search engine bookmarks bar as my main bookmarking site with so serious folder organization over any other tool or extension I tried.

I think my favorite articles to read are the ones about how the brain works, especially in adolescence. It's really amazing how much we don't know about brains, but it also helps to learn a little more about what a teenager's brain processing is like when you see them and are puzzled by some of their behaviors every day of the week. It starts to make sense. And it also makes me think about best practices for teaching, the true influence of peer pressure, and how technology is fitting in to all of this.

And so, I will keep on reading. Oh, but I'll also keep reading my fiction books. I've set a 15 book challenge for myself this year, and I've already made it through 7, but number 8 is a long one, and I haven't been setting much time aside for it. Some days when the breeze is just right and the skies are filled with those big, white clouds, I wish I had the whole day to sit back and read.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, perhaps I missed some things in my response! I didn't even think about what I read to prepare to teach my classes - lol! I too have been reading some of those brain articles for Psychology. I am fascinated with the research and the arguments scientists make about brain development while education completely ignores what is developmentally appropriate, i.e. standardized testing a young ages, the pressure of standardized testing, etc. Also, I have bookmarked and share one article showing an early connection between those who do not "unplug" during sleep, including the blue light on a tv or a text flashing, specifically during the REM stage, and the onset of dementia. And, another article showing a link between computer use (hello Chromebooks) and ADD/ADHD and lower IQ scores. Very interesting indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also find these articles fascinating as this same generation is predicted to have an increased level of neurological disorders as they age. Already there are studies, in mice, about the development of Alzheimer's-like dementias from such overstimulation. Well, we would not want to HELP the education system with their work in any manner. After all, far be it from the scientific community to help someone who has a degree in education know how a child's brain works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find these articles fascinating as this same generation is predicted to have an increased level of neurological disorders as they age. Already there are studies, in mice, about the development of Alzheimer's-like dementias from such overstimulation. Well, we would not want to HELP the education system with their work in any manner. After all, far be it from the scientific community to help someone who has a degree in education know how a child's brain works!

    ReplyDelete